You Have Rights. Don't Let Debt Collectors Violate Them!
Federal law prohibits debt collectors from doing (and not doing) many things to try to collect from you. Some of these illegal acts include:
1. Telling ANYBODY other than you or your spouse details about your collection account(s) without prior authority from you. Even disclosing to another person that they are calling from ABC Collection Agency is illegal. (This includes messages left on your voicemail that are overheard by others)
2. Calling you at work after you have told the debt collector not to contact you at work.
3. Threatening to take any action against you that they do not take or intend to take. (Examples include falsely threatening to take you to Court and falsely threatening to garnish your wages.)
4. Trying to collect any amount from you that they are not entitled to collect, including fees and other charges.
5. Falsely threatening to garnish your wages prior to a lawsuit being filed against you for the debt.
6. Cursing, yelling or using obscene and / or profane language.
7. Repeated harassing phone calls including calling multiple times a day to annoy, abuse or harass.
8. Threatening Arrest or Jail. Some debt collectors say that you have committed the crime of fraud. Don't believe it!
8. Impersonating court employees including judges, clerks, etc.
9. Impersonating law enforcement officers (Police, Sheriff or federal agents).
10. Leaving voice messages for you that don't tell you who you would be calling back.